Monday, July 30, 2012

GRACE....in a construction zone?


I have toyed with writing about this subject for a while, mainly because I don’t want to do what I feel I’m being asked to do.
I have many pet peeves. One of those pet peeves is how some folks behave in traffic….particularly the folks who think where they have to go is way more important than where I have to go.
A few days a week on my way to/from one of the places I work, I go through a construction zone. This zone has been in place at least all summer. There are signs up quite a ways before you even get close to the construction zone. This is normally a three-lane expressway that is cut down to one lane. If you have a job that takes you into/out of the city, then you take this road, and you KNOW about this construction zone.
Yet some folks speed past all the rest of us who have dutifully pulled over into the one lane that will remain open, and these folks drive up as close as they can to the actual construction site, and then expect those of us who have been obediently and patiently waiting to let them in.
Huh-uh, bud. NOT. A. CHANCE.
This truly irritates me. Why should I let them in? How is their life so much more important than mine? Where do they have to go that is more important than where I have to go?
They don’t deserve to cut in. They don’t deserve…..GRACE.
God convicted me of this. “Have some grace, Beth. I offer it to you…abundantly.”
Ouch.
What is GRACE? It’s getting something (good) we don’t deserve. And God gives me plenty of that.
So…..I’m not saying that the next time I’m in that long construction zone line waiting my turn and someone starts pulling over into my lane at the last moment trying to get in that I will let them in. I want to try it, though, at least once. Then maybe more.
After all, God never withholds His grace from me….THANK GOD!
“From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.”  John 1:16 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment