Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Finding My Niche

Finding My Niche

When I first began to seriously pick up my oil paint (and this time a palette knife instead of a brush) I looked for inspiration and discovered an artist whose work I love. I have personally worked with this amazing artist and she started me on a process of learning to trust myself and my creativity. She asked me to initially place colors on a canvas and then determine if those colors could stand alone as an abstract or if I could create something from the colors. This was a new and exciting experience for me!


She is also encouraging me to find my niche. I looked up "niche." There are many definitions for "niche" according to Bing:

  • suitable place for somebody: a position or activity that particularly suits somebody's talents and personality or that somebody can make his or her own
  • specialized market: an area of the market specializing in one type of product or service
  • place in nature: the role of an organism within its natural environment that determines its relations with other organisms and ensures its survival

  • Although I am looking for my niche in art -- what I'm drawn to, what flows out of me creatively and naturally, what is a reflection of my creativity/myself that I'm going to share with others -- I can't help but think about what is my niche in life.

    Have you ever thought about that? About your suitable activity? Something that suits your talents? Your place in nature? If you know it, that's great and I'm a little jealous. If you don't, do you want to find it?

    It's a prayer I'm praying every day.

    "The Spirit of God......puts a little of heaven in our hearts so that we'll never settle for less."
     2 Corinthians 5:4-5 (paraphrased) The Message

    No comments:

    Post a Comment