Thursday, August 23, 2012

CREATE!


Tonight, I tried something a little different with my painting.

I've been drawn to what my mentor Laurie Justus Pace says...."Learn through imitation but grow through the Spirit inside you." When she says "Spirit," she is referring to the Spirit of God. I took what she has told me and combined it with some of my reading of The Artist's Way. One principle of that book states "Creativity is God's gift to us. Using our creativity is our gift back to God."

I was thinking about all this creativity and what does God want me to do with my art, when I thought, since He is the Great Creator, how about I look at how He goes about creating...how He created the world.

So a few days ago I read  Genesis 1 to see how God got started with all His creativity:

       In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and
       empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over
       the waters. And God said, "Let there be light."

And there it was. I decided to start a creation of a painting thinking about the way God started the creation of the world....the darkness, formless and empty, so dark, so deep....and then LIGHT.

So I created in my mind what the beginning, God's creation, would look like. And in doing so, maybe I have discovered how God wants me to create. Out of nothing.....CREATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment